What does Action for ASD do?
Our Autism Resource Centre (ARC) is the only
specialist provision in the East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen area
offering support services, respite and leisure and recreational opportunities
for children, young people and adults with an Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC).
Action for ASD has been successful in
developing a number of different services and projects and can offer a
comprehensive support framework from pre diagnosis and beyond for both children
and adults. The group has a strong membership from individuals with a diagnosis
of ASC, their families, carers and members of the professional network in the
East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen area (Adults services).
With the right support people with Autism can
live meaningful and productive lives. Action for ASD strives to provide such
support. The services we provide are:
- IMPACT Project – A social and leisure project for young
people aged 4 – 19 years. The project also offers advice and support to
young people, families and professionals. Fun and Play Sessions are held
throughout the week and all day on a Saturday during term time. These
sessions offer children a chance to play and meet other young people
whilst giving their parents a well-deserved break.
- Family Play Sessions – An opportunity for family members to relax
and meet other families in a safe ASD environment.
- Summer and Holiday Activity Programme for children and young people of all ages
(4-19 years) with a diagnosis of ASC. Activity sessions are held every day
during school holidays and we provide a wide range of fun, age appropriate
activities in a structured programme throughout the week.
- Guidance and specialist advice on Autism and related fields.
- Parent Training Courses offering parents, individuals and
professionals an opportunity to learn about Autistic Spectrum Conditions
and related topics.
- Parent and Carer Support Group with guests speakers.
- A Resource Library including up to date and relevant books,
DVD’s and publications
Pre Diagnosis Screening and Assessment and
Diagnostic Service for adults with
high functioning autism
Drop In Sessions – A drop in session for adult with Asperger Syndrome to meet friends and
- Adult Support Groups – This is a support group which meets every week
and is a group for adults with a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – This offers in house therapy for adults to
work on achieving daily life skills in a safe understanding environment.
- Counselling – Post Diagnosis and Specialist Counselling
- Referrals and Support for Social Care
Assessments and PIP forms.